It all started when...
The Snow family first began farming in Tompkins County in 1816, producing dairy and poultry products from the 1860s onward. The Snow family farm dates back to 1816, when members of the Snow family of Worcester, Mass. first settled in the hills around the Town of Caroline in Tompkins County. From its earliest history it was a small dairy farm. By the mid-1870s, it produced butter and grass-fed beef and veal from a herd of ten cows. They fed hogs with the skim milk left over from the butter.
During the national farm debt crisis of the late 1920s, the creamery shut its doors. Into the farm account book, Lamont Snow sadly penned Robert Frost's poem, “Closed For Good.” They sold the house, but managed to keep the barn and most of the land. Lamont moved off to Colorado Springs to work in a creamery there during the Depression.
In the mid-1930s, Lamont returned to the farm to split his time between raising poultry and civic duty. Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, he served as Supervisor of the Town of Caroline. His daughter, Edith E. Snow, followed the call of duty into World War II. A feminist and career woman before her time, she entered the Army Nurse Corps in 1945, and by 1958 had risen to the rank of major.
In 1974, Calvin Snow took over the family farm and built it into a profitable enterprise using sustainable livestock and crop husbandry methods. The main source of income is currently wholesale milk sales. In 2011 Calvin choose to bring back the creamery after many years of making cheese for friends and family.
As our family has for nearly two hundred years, we continue to produce wholesome nutritious milk with sustainable agricultural practices.